Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mutual_gw

screw into polymer

mutual
15 years ago

I'm thinking of using a cutting board made of polymer for a collapsible shelf. will polymer hold a screw? thanks

Comments (11)

• Jon1270
    15 years ago

"Polymer" is a pretty broad term, but it the material is suitable for use as a cutting board then the answer is probably yes. I would be careful to drill full-depth pilot holes to avoid cracking the material with the screws.

• justnigel
    15 years ago

Can you give us more details? Is the screw going through the cutting board and then into something else? Or is the screw holding in the cutting board? If so, how thick is the cutting board?

• mutual
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The screw will go thru a collapsible metal bracket and then into the polymer. the screw will be holding in the polymer. the polymer is 1/2 inch thick (i can buy a sheet 1 inch thick at much higher cost). so the screw will be 3/8 in the polymer. if you think it will hold what type of screw should i use? thanks

• cloudcrasher
    15 years ago

Not sure how fancy you want to get in this installation. I wouldn't rely on ANY self tapping screw to hold this. This would be my choice: Drill and countersink a hole from the bottom, countersink just enough for the head of the screw to be flush. 10/32 or 12/32 screws would be plenty. Screws are available in chrome, brass, stainless and others. Use an acorn nut to secure it to the bracket. No threads showing and no sharp edges. Clean looking and strong. Countersink + hardware all for under $10

• mutual
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cloudcrasher That sounds like a good idea but don't you mean countersink from the top? The shelf will be on top of the bracket. thanks

• Jon1270
    15 years ago

Another thing to consider is whether the 1/2" material is rigid enough to bridge between these brackets without flexing significantly while you're using it. If the screws are near the edges of the cutting board, and if the flexing of the board creates stress at those fastening points, you may have a failure rather soon.

• cloudcrasher
    15 years ago

OK..I wasn't sure. At first it sounded like you were putting the poly underneath.So yes, you're correct. And if you think the amount of weight might make this sag in the middle, install a piece of 1/2" aluminum flat stock across the face and paint it to match or a contrasting color.

• mutual
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The board will be 36"x14"x1/2" the brackets will be 16" apart. This collasible wall shelf is for the laundry room that's why I'm using polymer. I'll let you know how it turns out. wish me luck! thanks again. Bob

• justnigel
    15 years ago

Good luck! And if the screws don't actually bite, then you can go to "chicago bolts" (link below) or shoulder bolts (also findable in LV-land).

For what its worth, I've found lexan to be prone to cracking when trying to screw; HDPE is much more forgiving.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chicago Bolts

• brickeyee
    15 years ago

If it is the typical white translucent cutting board material it is high density polyethylene.

You need screws with very coarse threads since the material is very soft.

Through holes (even with a countersink) will be hard to keep clean.