Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stain coming off a section of door?

Posted by yazz100 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 5, 10 at 16:10

Hi I recently had my interior room doors refinished. I noticed on the bathroom door the stain (and finish) is coming off only on one section. Can this be fixed without having to redo the entire door? The section is small about 1" x 3".
Minwax wood finish stain was used.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stain coming off a section of door?

Sorry I forgot to add that 1 week after the Minwax wood finish was used we did 1 coat of Minwax fast drying Polyurethane:)

o

How is the stain coming off? Stain is supposed to penetrate into the wood. The only way a stain could peel off is iuf it were applied over a finish.

The danaged area will need to be sanded to remove any finish. Since poly si almost impossible to repair, the entire door should be sanded to wood. The sanding will remove some of the stain color, so that will need to be retouched.

One coat of poly is not nearly enough to give long term protection. 3 coats is the minimum recomendation.

o

Thank you for your response. The stain came off in one spot when I was cleaning the door with a damp rag. The person that did it, did apply it over a finish. By the time I saw what he was doing it was already too late. But the rest of the door and the other doors are fine. It's just this one spot.
I'm afraid if I sand down the entire door and redo it that it won't match the other doors. There are 4 and they are all in my foyer. Could I sand down the spot and apply the stain, try to patch the poly and put another 2 coats? Would the patched area blend in then? I am furious with this contractor...and he came highly recommended :(

o

Have you contacted your contractor and asked him to fix it?

o

I thought about contacting him, but to be honest his work was poor and sloppy. Since my doors were done I've had the floors refinished and the walls painted. I feel it best I try to fix it....i don't want to chance him ruining my paint job or floors - (in the bedroom when he applied the stain he got little speckles of stain on the wall, I took it because I knew I was painting them at a later time.)
a friend recommended him - some friend huh!

o

I mentioned poly cannot be spot repaired because it dries into a plastic like finish. The only way to fix it right will be to sand off all the finish, restain, and refinish.

You will need to use the same stain used by the contractor. You can use a rag to apply the stain, instead of brushing it on and wiping it off. You can control the color much better that way. And, of course, use the same poly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here