Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Entrance Door to Jam Gap

Posted by ellsasha (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 14, 12 at 16:04

I have just had a custom mahogany entrance door installed. The gap between the jam and door on the locking side (inside) is 5/16 of an inch, and despite metal weather stripping I can still see light from the outside coming through in places. Can anyone advise what the optimum gap size for this kind of door is? Would it be better for me to change the weather stripping to a softer perhaps, more expandable material, and if so, can anyone suggest what type I should use. Many thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Entrance Door to Jam Gap

I've always used a 1/8" gap. I believe that's standard, or close to it.
What is the gap on the hinge side? If it's at or near nothing, the hinges can be shimmed until both sides are the same. The installer should be the one to make this good.

o

There is barely any gap on the hinge side, so, your suggestion of having the installer shimmy the hinges is very helpful. They have to come back, in any event as the door is not flush at the bottom (lock side) with the jam. This entire door replacement has been such a struggle. I really appreciate your input.

o

Call the installer back and have him fix the problem.

o

The installer returned today and adjusted the hinges which decreased the gap on the locking side to just over 1/8 inch. Have to say the company was very responsive. Thank you both for the suggestions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here