Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Restoring woodwork, primer oops!

Posted by marcydc (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 25, 10 at 15:54

So I have this 95 year old house with old very dark shellac woodwork. I've read all the posts here on shellac and have started taking off the old with denatured alcohol. Works well! With my time and the amount of trim, I should be done in about 3 years ;) But it will be beautiful!

Anyway, one window at some point in its life had been replaced with a god awful aluminum one that had fogged over. We ordered a custom douglas fir window and had it replaced.

Overzealous contractor primed it! I stripped off the primer with SmartStrip as best I could. It's still whitish but does look wood again.

What's the best way to get shellac on this to match the rest? Am i going to need to stain it first? Use shellac as a pre-stain conditioner? Strip more with something else? Here's pics attached.

Also, any thoughts as to what color shellac this was (i'm guessing garnet) or what kind of wood it is? (House is in San Francisco). Some of the trip that appears more striped has a light flesh colored layer between layers of shellac. Not sure what this is...

Thanks for all you help!

Here's some pictures.

From Bathroom and more remodel

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Restoring woodwork, primer oops!

You are most likely going to have to purchase shellac flakes of the correct type and dissolve them in denatured alcohol to make up shellac.

Shellac comes in a number of purities and shades, from button lac, garnet, to super blond.

Buy a small amount of whatever looks closest and mix it up.

A heavier cut and additional coats may be needed to get a god match.

o

Thanks brickeye, I got that from the reading i've done. But what to do about the new window, formerly primed. Just start with shellac there ? Or stain? It's very light right now - like pine.

o

Softwoods, as they age, get darker latewood and lighter earlywood. When you attempt to stain these woods, they turn out exactly the opposite because the earlywood soaks up the stain more than the harder latewood.

While the casual observer may not notice, they may sense that something is different.

I'd stick with the darker shades of shellac.

o

Sorry I cannot offer you any advice, but your home has beautiful wood.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here