Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marcydc

Restoring woodwork, primer oops!

marcydc
13 years ago

So I have this 95 year old house with old very dark shellac woodwork. I've read all the posts here on shellac and have started taking off the old with denatured alcohol. Works well! With my time and the amount of trim, I should be done in about 3 years ;) But it will be beautiful!

Anyway, one window at some point in its life had been replaced with a god awful aluminum one that had fogged over. We ordered a custom douglas fir window and had it replaced.

Overzealous contractor primed it! I stripped off the primer with SmartStrip as best I could. It's still whitish but does look wood again.

What's the best way to get shellac on this to match the rest? Am i going to need to stain it first? Use shellac as a pre-stain conditioner? Strip more with something else? Here's pics attached.

Also, any thoughts as to what color shellac this was (i'm guessing garnet) or what kind of wood it is? (House is in San Francisco). Some of the trip that appears more striped has a light flesh colored layer between layers of shellac. Not sure what this is...

Thanks for all you help!

Here's some pictures.

From Bathroom and more remodel

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Craftsman Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Home Builder 3x Best of Houzz Award Winner