Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Altering stain on cabinets

Posted by pbrisjar (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 27, 08 at 15:39

We're remodeling our kitchen and due to budget reasons, are refinishing the existing cabinets rather than getting new ones. The boxes are done and the problem is that I absolutely HATE the color. We did all the testing, etc. but what Hubby didn't tell me was that on the test piece, he didn't take the sample down all the way to bare wood. Some of the old, really dark stain was left on which gave the doors a completely different look - one I actually liked (though didn't love - Hubby vetoed the color I loved).

We also suspect that part of the issue is that we didn't use exactly the same stain that we used on the test piece. We tested with Minwax oil-based cherry and wound up using the Minwax low-VOC oil-based cherry (came in the bigger (cheaper) can and we didn't notice the labeling saying it was a different formulation).

I've tried really, really hard to be OK with the color but I just can't do it. So my question is, how hard do you think it would be to fix it and what should we do? There are 3 coats of stain and either 3 or 4 coats of wipe-on poly on the cabs right now. My goal - make it more brown and less yellow/orange.

This is the best pic I have of the test piece and what we got:

From Kitchen

The background is what we have. The test piece is the one propped up against it. The stain color to the left of the purple paint is what we were aiming for. The color to the right is what I really wanted but got vetoed.

The cabs are made of Ash. Doors and drawer fronts have not yet been stained.

Help? Hubby did a really, really good job with the finish it's just not a color I think I can live with.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of the kitchen in progress here

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Altering stain on cabinets

You can use a glaze to tweak the color. To kill orange, you use blue. To kill yellow, you use purple. I would probably start with a "cordovan" oil-based glaze and try it on a sample. "Cordovan" is one of the standard finishing colors. If you get a funny look from the guy behind the counter, find another paint store.

To apply a glaze, sand your surface and dust off the sanding dust. Apply the glaze with a rag or brush and manipulate to your liking. If you don't like it, wet a cloth with mineral spirits and wipe it off before it dries. Let dry overnight, then continue with your finish, adding at least one more coat.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cordovan

o

Awesome. So I assume I'll have to re-apply the poly after the glaze, yes?

Making the steps:
sand
clean
glaze
dry
glaze
dry
poly
(wash rinse repeat...)

o

You don't need to glaze twice, but you can. The nice thing about glaze is that you can manipulate it to your liking. Cordovan will have a bit of blue in it to kill some of the orange.

o

Gotcha. Thanks for the advice. Now off to experiment. I'll update when I have something.

o

Benjamin Moore makes a poly that you can tint. Goes on great and you could use it right over your other poly.
It's called Benwood Stays Clear and it comes pretinted in certain colors and you can have them formulate it to what you want also. Comes in lowlustre and a gloss.
We have cabinets that are more of a cherry color and the rest of our house is done in sort of a pine/oak color. Love it!

o

Just be very careful and practice / trial. Tinted polys are notorious for being hard to brush apply without streaking.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here