Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pbrisjar

Altering stain on cabinets

pbrisjar
15 years ago

We're remodeling our kitchen and due to budget reasons, are refinishing the existing cabinets rather than getting new ones. The boxes are done and the problem is that I absolutely HATE the color. We did all the testing, etc. but what Hubby didn't tell me was that on the test piece, he didn't take the sample down all the way to bare wood. Some of the old, really dark stain was left on which gave the doors a completely different look - one I actually liked (though didn't love - Hubby vetoed the color I loved).

We also suspect that part of the issue is that we didn't use exactly the same stain that we used on the test piece. We tested with Minwax oil-based cherry and wound up using the Minwax low-VOC oil-based cherry (came in the bigger (cheaper) can and we didn't notice the labeling saying it was a different formulation).

I've tried really, really hard to be OK with the color but I just can't do it. So my question is, how hard do you think it would be to fix it and what should we do? There are 3 coats of stain and either 3 or 4 coats of wipe-on poly on the cabs right now. My goal - make it more brown and less yellow/orange.

This is the best pic I have of the test piece and what we got:

From Kitchen

The background is what we have. The test piece is the one propped up against it. The stain color to the left of the purple paint is what we were aiming for. The color to the right is what I really wanted but got vetoed.

The cabs are made of Ash. Doors and drawer fronts have not yet been stained.

Help? Hubby did a really, really good job with the finish it's just not a color I think I can live with.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of the kitchen in progress here

Comments (6)