Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alexbz_gw

How can I finish a reclaimed pine, salvaged wod table?

alexbz
11 years ago

I have this beautiful table from Restoration Hardware and I'd like to actually be able to eat on it and spill on it without changing the color if it (as much as possible). Any suggestions?? It's supposedly made from "reclaimed pine, salvaged from 100-year-old buildings in Great Britain" Thanks in advance!http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?type=finalSale&productId=prod180023&cm_ps=modal_add_to_cart-_-none-_-other_items_you_may_like

Comments (23)

• mary_ruth
    11 years ago

First, contact the company and ask what protective finish is already on there if any. Then you will know if anything you chose to do on top of that would react.
    With a table like this, I would have it professionally done so that you do not change the tones when applying a sealer that might darken or Amber tone the wood.

• handymac
    11 years ago

Basically, oil based finishes will impart an amber tone---which is usually desired. Water based finishes do not make much difference in the wood color, if any at all.

Rather than buy a product like this at a hardware or home improvement store, it is generally better to buy at a paint store, since the stock there is usually rotated much more quickly and the chances of getting an out dated batch are slim.

Most paint stores also have folks with a better knowledge of what/how to use there products.

I prefer Sherwin Williams, but other brands are acceptable,

Here is a link that might be useful: Water based finish

• bobismyuncle
    11 years ago

Any finish that I'm aware of that will provide protection will also significantly alter the look of this basically unfinished wood. Waxes or oils will affect it the least, but will also offer little to no protection.

I've just never understood the appeal of these tables that are one red Kool-Aid spill away from a disaster. The two main purposes of a finish are to enhance the appearance of the wood and protect it from damage.

BTW, RH recommends a wax finish, but they realize that it provides little protection.

• sloyder
    11 years ago

you could test a waterbased finish on the underside of the table to see if you like it. Other than that you should consider placemats and a table runner. My girlfriend bought a country pine table, and that is how she protects it.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"Any finish that I'm aware of that will provide protection will also significantly alter the look of this basically unfinished wood."

Water based polyurethane coatings have no real tint to them at all 9some now have yellow added so they appear more like older varnish).

you are looking for 'water white' or clear.

• bobismyuncle
    11 years ago

Even a "water white" finish is going to affect the look and feel of this piece. I've worked on several of these tables and there is no discernible finish on them. Just wipe the bottom with water, mineral spirits or denatured alcohol and you will see how the color will change.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"Even a "water white" finish is going to affect the look and feel of this piece."

But not the color.

It depends on what the OP is looking for.

Wax 'finishes' provide the least protection,. but leave the wood not all that changed in appearance look, or feel (unless you put it on thick enough and buff it to a high gloss).

• alexbz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for all of your feedback! It sounds like a "water white" finish will offer the most protection and will change it the least. Is that something that is easy to do yourself? Please excuse my ignorance!

• bobismyuncle
    11 years ago

Probably the easiest to find is going to be Deft brushing lacquer. They say the only mistake you can make is to put it on too thin. I'm not sure about that statement, they may just want you to buy a lot of it.

But definitely try it out on the bottom first to make sure you like the results.

It's also easy to refresh if you want to spruce it up in a few years -- clean well and recoat.

• bobismyuncle
    11 years ago

addendum: Waterborne finish are really "cool" often shifting to blue color. And they are not that easy to apply without leaving brush strokes unless you are spraying. Do not over brush and allow time for it to flow out -- don't try to brush out defects after a minute as they set up very quickly.

• alexbz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you again - great tips. I'll try to find a spray if possible and will spray the underside first.

• alexbz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just ready a little bit about Deft and it sounds complicated. Do you think I can get someone experienced to do this for me? If so, any suggestions on where I could find someone with experience? I live in Long Island, Nassau County. Thanks!

• tennisfan
    11 years ago

Wondering what you ended up doing. I just got a salvaged wood RH table, too, and based on research and some other posts on this site, I ended up using Rubio monocoat oil. It's still drying/curing, but it looks gorgeous. It darkened the wood quite a bit, but it also brought out the grain and I think it looks far better than it did unfinished. From what I've read, the Rubio monocoat should be a good protection, but I can not say from experience as I have not used my table yet. The reasons I chose that product: 1) I am a complete novice at furniture/wood work and it only required one coat and no sanding if you did not want to sand out the rough spots and 2) it has no VOCs, and as I had to do the work in my house, I felt better about not having toxic fumes to be concerned with. Downside to the product is that as far as I could find, it was not available locally and I had to order it online (it was not cheap!) so I was nervous about that. But so far so good!

• Miki601
    10 years ago

Can anyone tell me how their experiences with protecting a salvaged wood table worked for them? I am looking to puchase one as well from RH and am interested in the best ways to protect. I've heard alot of people use Rubio Monocoat but am interested in other options as well.
    Thanks!

• blumster4734
    8 years ago

I am so curious about this as well! Anyone? About to buy the same table from RH!

• keystone2425
    8 years ago

I have just ordered the salvaged pine table from RH and I am so curious how the Rubio Monocoat has worked? Please help.

• toxcrusadr
    8 years ago

I have not used this stuff, but looking really quick at their website, it looks promising. My first choice would have been satin polyurethane because it's waterproof. A dining table needs that. The Monocoat website does show in their table of test results that it's resistant to water and water based spills. So I would be willing to use it in this kind of an application. I just can't endorse it from experience.

• csross
    7 years ago

I used Modern Masters Dead Flat Varnish on my reclaimed wood table and I can't tell I did anything to it! Looks completely untouched but it protected.

• PRO
    Anna Siodelska
    7 years ago

I made a table from scaffold boards, salvaged looking one, used Modern Masters Dead Flat Varnish as csross and if there is any change in colour I can not notice it!! very easy to apply as well:) you can then wax on top of it if you wish to give slight sheen.

• Lisa Hall
    7 years ago

Find a local store that carries General Finishes.... they carry a poly that is called flat out flat high-performance .... it is a true flat and you don't have to worry about your spills!!!

• lkow
    7 years ago

rubio monocoat - while drying... on a RH unfinished table

• PRO
    Fiddes
    7 years ago

Hard Wax Oil's, use by many in the reclaimed wood trade. Look and feel of a wax, no maintinance issues. Fast and easy to apply. 10 shades, contact for color chart. fiddeswax@aol.com

Sponsored
Old Dominion Kitchen Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
Loudoun County's Kitchen & Bath Design Experts | Best of Houzz 3x