Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
reclaimed pine with wax finish

Posted by tateland (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 21, 11 at 14:20

I am thinking of purchasing the reclaimed pine dining table from pottery barn. It comes with a wax finish. Is it possible to darken the table to a medium brown (it is a light tan ) I love the table but need to know if it is possible to get it darker before I purchase.

thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: reclaimed pine with wax finish

Briwax is what you want to use. You should be able to.

Here is a link that might be useful: Briwax

o
RE: reclaimed pine with wax finish

You can get colored waxes. You will be able to shift the color slightly with these. You are not going to be able to go from light pine to ebony color.

Just a couple of unsolicited warnings, though

Pine will dent and scratch. Not maybe, but when. You have to accept this as a concomitant property of pine.

Wax finishes are about the closest thing to no finish at all that you can get. It will get stained from food and beverages. You will need to accept water rings, stains from spilled coffee, splashes from spaghetti sauce, grease spots, blush from the pizza box, etc. Just because moisture beads up on a waxed surface does not mean it is not going straight through to the wood.

Here is a link that might be useful: selection of waxes

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here