Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weedyacres

Laminating curved-edge counters

weedyacres
9 years ago

I'm wanting to DIY laminate kitchen counters for our remodel. Ideally I'd like to have a roundover edge. But in googling and youtubing, I'm not finding any instructions on how to do this. Someone told me they think it takes heat to bend, a guy who works for me that used to make laminate counters for a living said they sent out the curved edge ones.

Is this something I can DIY? Or do I need to downsize my expectations and go with a square edge, with the front either laminated or metal banded?

Comments (10)

• handymac
    9 years ago

Best way to get roundover with laminate is to laminate, trim the edge and glue on roundover trim.

You could use Azek(or comparable) plastic for the trim, it shapes fine with regular woodworking tools.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

"Is this something I can DIY?"

No. The plastic laminate rounded tops and backsplashes you've seen are called post formed and are done in factories.

The latest post formed high definition countertops are remarkable.

Here is a link that might be useful: See 2:25

This post was edited by Trebruchet on Fri, Oct 3, 14 at 23:52

• weedyacres
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, all. Guess I'll just stick with square edges. :-(

• lam702
    9 years ago

DIY laminate is tricky if you are not experienced in applying it. The thing with laminate is, you use contact cement and once that laminate touches the surface you are applying it to, its stuck and can't be removed. If you screw up and lay it down incorrectly, you are pretty much stuck with it. So, although you can do it yourself (and save a bundle, the sheet laminate is not expensive, its the labor that drives up the cost) you should be aware, especially on long counters, that it can be tricky to get a smooth, flat contact without any air bubbles. You have to do your edges too, using a strip of the laminate that is applied and then routered and the sharp edge smoothed out. Many years ago, in our first house, we did a new laminate counter ourselves, as we were on a very tight budget. It came out OK, there was a bubble on the longer run, which was there as long as we had the house. That is not to discourage you, it can be done of course. If you've done laminate before, you know what you are doing, if not, I'd practice with some cheap laminate on a work bench or laundry table first.

• weedyacres
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, hpny. Fortunately I've got a guy that works for me that's a laminate pro and perfectionist, and he's doing most of the work, since Mr. Weedy did some plumbing work for him. I told him I wanted him to teach me, and he's doing so mostly by letting me watch him. :-) Our shop has good tools and materials (spray glue), so I'm confident in a decent outcome.

• lam702
    9 years ago

I wouldn't do a metal edge, unless you are looking for a retro 50-60's feel. Wood edging would be more of an 80's vibe, I believe. That's great to have a laminate pro working for you, I am sure he can do a straight or beveled laminate edge with no problem. Although most GW'ers don't seem to be fans of laminate, I like it. Its so easy to care for, and tough stuff! My last laminate counter top lasted 28 yrs, with barely a scratch on it, and it got hard use with my 3 kids. Not that I don't admire a gorgeous stone counter top, but today's laminates come in so many colors and styles today, if you like laminate, you can find pretty much any pattern or color you want.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

" The thing with laminate is, you use contact cement and once that laminate touches the surface you are applying it to, its stuck and can't be removed. If you screw up and lay it down incorrectly, you are pretty much stuck with it."

A heat gun will loosen contact cement as will lacquer thinner, however, lacquer thinner is quite flammable so use all precautions.

• lam702
    9 years ago

Thanks, trebuchet, that is good to know. We did our laminate job many years ago, I wish we knew that back then. Not that I am planning on doing any laminate in the near future, as I recall that contact cement had a very strong odor, needing good ventilation. Although perhaps today there are other types that are not so strong?

• weedyacres
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I love stone counters, but this is a budget renovation ($10K for the whole house), so I built my own cabinet boxes and am putting in laminate counters. I do love their durability.

I don't care for beveled edges, so we're just going with straight.

Good point on the metal edges being 1950s. This is a 1920 house, so that wouldn't be appropriate. Technically neither would laminate, but I'm not going that far. :-)

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area