Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
chair rail /moulding - follow-up

Posted by bronxbill (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 17, 09 at 13:01

Hi everyone: Ok I removed the bottom chair rail -came off real easy because it was already removed once before as I stated above. Now I have removed all the wallpaper border but some of the backing is still there not much /tried everything - I am going to put a new wallpaper border back up then replace the bottom chair rail and the new border will now fit.
(without the backing/residue)I can use just plain water on the border the way it was made to do. But because of the backing/residue still on the wall I will have to use additional paste.
My question is what if I paint over the leftover backing etc. after of course a slight sanding to make it smooth -Will I now be able to use just the water to make the bond? Or should I use the paste to be sure?
Thanks Much
Bill
PS: I'll repost as new because of the time that went by (don't know which is the correct way to a follow up when time as passed).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: chair rail /moulding - follow-up

"don't know which is the correct way to a follow up when time as passed"

Find the old message and reply to it.

If the system bumps you for having already replied, change the title of the new reply slightly.

o
RE: chair rail /moulding - follow-up

Thanks brickeyee: for your reply below on first post I will look into the brad nailer compressor - do they also have a tool to maybe clip off the nails that are still attached to the moulding (dont want to hacksaw them off or knock them back through the top side) for fear of ruining the wood completely.
Thanks again
Bill

(Rent a brad nailer and compressor to put the molding back up.
They work much better than hand nailing ever did.
Fewer splits, uniform depth, no nail set (they countersink when they drive the nail).
I use a Paslode butane one for trim all the time.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here