Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
staircase trim

Posted by nohandle (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 3, 06 at 12:58

I'm renovating a small set of stairs that go from my basement to my main level kitchen. What I can't decide on is what to do with the trim above the stringer. Before there was just quarter round to hide the seam along the wall, but I didn't really like the way the baseboard just stopped with a square edge at the top of the stairs. But I really don't know whether it would look funny if I just continued the baseboard from the kitchen floor down the side of the stairs on top of the stringer.
Alternatively I guess I could miter a piece for the end of the baseboard that would take it down to the height of the quarter round, but I'm not sure if this would work either.
Does anyone have any experience or advice they could share with me?
I know it's only a very small detail, but it's a nagging one to say the least.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: staircase trim

When i need to end a piece of trim, I use a return. That is a joint made by cutting a 45 degree angle on the end of the trim as if it were going to be half of an outside corner. I then cut the opposite angle on another piece of trim and then cut thatb angle off at 90 degrees so it is the thickness of the trim. Glue it onto the first piece of trim and it makes an end corner for the trim.

A trim book/guide will show it better.

o
RE: staircase trim

Here's what I recently did on a basement stair. You fill in the 5/4 thick stringer stock to form the main baseboard, then cap it with a 1x2 to reduce the thickness to 3/4, then use whatever base cap you want. This is how I got away from the large flat area that is inherent when you use regular cap on top of a thick stair stringer.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Casey

o
RE: staircase balaust

I just had some ballaust turned matching an existing stair case in an old house. My problem is the entire ballaust is round and tapered at the top how do I make both ends an angle cut and have them square up with one another I tried a jig it didn't work any ideas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here