Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurmela

refinishing oak desk

laurmela
15 years ago

I bought this desk at a consignment shop and want to either refinish to a darker stain, or maybe paint?

Not sure which will work.

Anyway, what is the best way to clean it before I start and do I need to sand.

Thanks,

Comments (10)

• bobismyuncle
    15 years ago

How much darker? If you are just going a little bit, you may be able to get there with a glaze or toner.

If you decide to paint, the grain will probably telegraph through. Are you OK with this?

As for cleaning, Dawn and water will remove most of the dirt. Follow up with naphtha or mineral spirits to remove oil-based contaminants. If you are just going over top with something else, a light scuff sanding to roughen the surface and remove superficial scratches will work.

• laurmela
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think we decided to paint, I am ok with some of the grain coming through. We did a light sanding with 180 and really it had no effect. I think we will prime with a good primer and then paint. I want to paint the top a dark brown or black and the body will be a lighter color.

I did my bathroom cabinets last year, but the grain was not as pronounced as this.

Thanks for the info.

Laura

• bobismyuncle
    15 years ago

Just use a a quality oil-based enamel. Cheap latex paints exhibit "blocking," meaning things will stick to it and it will stick to itself. I saw your post on your vanity. Nice work.

• laurmela
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Bob, that means a lot. DH doubts me most of the time, but I do prevail! I am going to start sanding and priming today. At least the base, will work on the hutch after I get the base done.

Pics to follow!

Laura

• laurmela
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok here is the question. Would it be better to spray the desk after primed or use a roller or brush. Since there is so much, I was thinking spraying, although I want the top to be a dark finish.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Laura

• bobismyuncle
    15 years ago

If by "spray" you mean aerosol cans, I'd rather you brush. It's difficult to get even coverage over large areas with aerosols. If you have a spray gun and set up, then yes, and I'd change my recommendation to a spraying lacquer. Otherwise, brush with oil-based.

See if the back panel is easily removable. If you are going to spray, it will save you a lot of blow-back and having to worry about 3 sided concave corners. If you are going to brush, it will make it easier to work and see.

• laurmela
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We don't have a sprayer now, but DH was talking about getting one. I will have to check the back panel, primed the top today, want to do that in a dk brown or black laquer with the rest maybe an off white? Still haven't decided yet. I think the top will come off which will make that easier. There is trim around the bottom that I may do in the dark same as the top as well. Still thinking.

Thanks,

Laura

• laurmela
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok took the top off now that will be easy to paint. I think I will use a brush on the dark colors. What kind of paint is best, I want something that will withstand heavy use as a desk top. Is a lacquer best? For the cabinets I just used an enamel paint, this will not be in the bathroom but it will get a lot of use.

Thanks,

Laura

• laurmela
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok desk is all primed. Took off the top and took out all the pull outs and drawers. It is basically just a shell now, which I think will work well with the sprayer. The hutch is primed as well. I think I will cut out the inserts on the doors on the top and put beadboard there instead. Beadboard in the center top as well. Bought a dk chocolate brown for the top and trim and a soft ivory for the rest. Will post pics when painting gets done.

L

• laurmela
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is an updated pic! Hutch will be brought in later today. Love how it turned out. Excuse the wires, still figuring that out.

Thanks for the help, will post pics of the whole desk later.

Laura

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz