Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldalgebra

Can an interior door be converted to an exterior door?

oldalgebra
10 years ago

I recently purchased a 1929 Spanish Revival house. We are having a lot of work done (fixing wiring, plumbing, new AC/Heat, plaster, floors, etc.) All the work falls under the category of necessary, as opposed to beautification.

There is a detached garage that has been converted to an guest room, office, and laundry room, that also needs a considerable amount of work. The original garage doors were replaced with sliding glass doors (which offer no privacy and have definitely seen better days.

In the process of preparing both spaces, we had a large wooden, arched door removed from a dinning room entrance. All the woodwork around the door came off without damage. The door is very attractive, and I am hoping to be able to use it as a new entrance to the garage structure. Because of it's arched top, it would tie in beautifully to the other exterior doors in the house.

I believe it is a hollow door. Is there a way to blow in insulation and paint it with some sort of exterior paint that might make it withstand rain and wind? I am committed to using the door, if possible, as it is an original door to the house and it will help maintain the Spanish Revival style.

I need help!

Comments (4)