property with a small pine forest. We need to clear
out a significant amount of the pine. Seems like a
waste to just burn it for fire wood. There's enough
other wood for that. My question is....how do we
cure the pine and are there any good books or video's
on the subject? I think a trellis with built in
seating and a gate for the front of the property
would be nice and maybe some out door seating and
tables for when we have BBQ's and family functions.
Any one have any experience with log furniture?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Brenda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ? about building log furniture

I know there are some books out about it, probably pretty easy to find one on Ebay. I'm not a big fan of pine for Rustic furniture, but many are. (I prefer oak, hickory, etc.)
As for curing it, for rustic furniture it's a simple of matter of just putting it in a relatively cool dry location where some air will circulate. Even up in the raters of a pole barn is a good spot!

You'll want to leave your 'sticks' at least a foot longer than you guess you'll need, so you can cut off the ends later on. Sounds like you have plenty, so I wouldn't bother with waxing the end cuts and such. You'll want to harvest when the sap is down too, I believe.

I believe Rockler sells some tenon-cutting apparatus, both one you can use in a regular drill, and one that works with a router. If you have maple on your property, consider that. I like hickory because harvested in the winter, you can do some "bark on" furniture with it without the bark flaking off. Bark HAS to be removed from pine, also.

o
RE: ? about building log furniture

I know of a great site that sells specialty lumber products such as wood slabs. They have walnut, maple, chestnut and sycamore to name a few.
Specialty-Lumber

Here is a link that might be useful: Specialty-Lumber

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here