Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old Old wooden pantry needs cleaning and refinishing

Posted by fishbliss (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 9, 09 at 12:01

Hi
In my rather dank cellar there is an old pantry type cupboard -- I assume it was once used to store home canning. The newspaper lining the shelf was from 1967 so it's been there at least that long. (house is 110 years old) It doesn't appear to have been finished at any time -- no paint or varnish. It has a screen front that I plan to replace with punched tin or glass. But the problem is the wood is very musty and smelly. Is is possible to sand it, clean it, seal it somehow and then paint it so that it is no longer smelly and can act as a pantry in my kitchen? I'm imagining bleach or Kilz or some such? Is this even possible? Thanks in advance to all the nice folks who will offer ideas! -- Cynthia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old Old wooden pantry needs cleaning and refinishing

Shellac is the best odor barrier you can use. You can use clear such as Seal Coat or pigmented such as BIN Primer. Both are by Zinsser who is the singular major importer of shellac in the US. You might also wash down the boards with a rag dampened in denatured alcohol prior to applying the shellac.

The article below explains a good method for cleaning.

Here is a link that might be useful: Saving the finish

o
RE: Old Old wooden pantry needs cleaning and refinishing

Thanks, bobsmyuncle. I'll give it a try.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here