Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I want to change the color of my entertainment center.

Posted by mommyof5 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 13, 08 at 9:44

We have a 5 piece entertainment center that is the traditional golden oak stain. I really want to paint it black, but DH disagrees. He will go for a darker stain though. The doors and moldings are solid wood, but the shelves I believe are laminated and the back is just a masonite like board w/ a wood grain look.

Would I have to sand everything down and then just apply a darker stain and then varnish? Will the shelving and back take stain if it's not solid wood? I really don't want to mess this up....of course if I did then I could paint it:-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I want to change the color of my entertainment center.

First thing to determine is how much of the EC is actually wood. If you have part of the EC made of a laminated board, it won't stain, but can be painted.

If you build furniture and are familiar with stain, then sanding, prep, stain and top coat will be a major undertaking. If you don't build furniture, then the job will be a major undertaking and then some. I envision 5 piece EC as being large. Me personally, if you can't live with the golden oak, then paint it. If you have to stain it, let a professional do it, or consider selling the EC and buying a new one that is the color of your liking. Painting over stain is a challenge because it is hard to get paint to stick to the existing finish.

That is my short answer, the long answer is to long for this forum. If you decide to paint it, go to a reputable paint store like Sherwin Williams and get instructions from them on how to paint over an existing finish.

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here