Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
delilah66

Advice on Painting this China Hutch and Buffet

Delilah66
12 years ago

Rather than replacing this Thomasville American Harvest china hutch and buffet, I've been told removing the upper doors and painting it could make it more contemporary. I probably will also change the hinges and pulls.

I have a call into a pro furniture refinisher, but wanted some advice on what type of finish would work best. Both pieces are pine with very little wear; however, the surface is "distressed". I'd like a finish that de-emphasizes the "dents".

Can you help me tell the pro what I want in the correct terminology?

TIA!

Comments (7)

• karinl
    12 years ago

I can't help with the language (seems to me you've done just fine here anyway) but I would suggest that you get the doors painted along with the cabinet, even if you plan to remove them. And maybe pick up enough of the new hardware to add them back, just so that you can. I recently switched from a hutch with doors to a hutch without doors, and pretty promptly switched back - the dust accumulation was just over the top. Our house does seem to be a dust factory, though; maybe yours isn't.

Even if you like the cabinet open, if you ever sell it, it might be good to have matching doors.

Karin L

• sloyder
    12 years ago

Might look good with a french country painted finish. Usually a dark glaze undercoat with a painted top coat. Check out the Kate Madison furniture, you could paint some parts of the cabinet, and leave some the natural wood.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kate Madison

• Delilah66
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@karinl - Outstanding idea to paint the doors, too, and get extra hardware. Pro came out the other night and I expect an estimate today. He will finish with low sheen to match my DR table/chairs. I don't have much trouble with dust, but ya never know...

@sloyd - Thank you for the suggestion; however, the French country will not coordinate well with the DR table/chairs (staying) or open LR modern/Asian aesthetic, I'm afraid.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"the French country will not coordinate well with the DR table/chairs (staying) "

Neither will painted.

• sloyder
    12 years ago

I think you need to find a way to marry the different furniture styles you have going on with an open floor plan. DR Colonial, LR Asian. Maybe a distressed black will work on the entire DR set?

Need to see a pic of the LR.

• karinl
    12 years ago

The OP wants to undistress the hutch, and the dining set does not look distressed; more like a modern or sleek take on colonial. So it should mesh fine with the LR. The country vibe of the pine is the discordant element, and anything like distressing or country finishing will just keep it that way. I think the overall new look might work well, not that the OP asked :-)

I can see that the rounded tops of the doors are the major hurdle to an integrated look, after the pine itself. Come to think of it, maybe your pro could even build you a new set of doors with square tops.

Karin L

• Delilah66
    Original Author
    12 years ago

He is going to try to change the crown molding so that it's less slanted/more vertical. Wed also discussed re-designing the doors and may elect to do that later.

Here are some shots of the LR

Sponsored
One Source Systems
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Top Choice for Reliable Home Automation & Home Media in Loudoun County