Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mdf baseboard ok?

Posted by jscozz (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 13, 07 at 8:44

We are using wood for door and window casings... but the baseboard my wife likes only comes in MDF. I would rather use wood, but am wondering if MDF will hold up to impacts as well as wood? Also, I want to stain in one room and will have to go with another style baseboard to get stain grade.

Is the MDF baseboard going to cause me any problems down the road? Will it look different (finish texture/sheen) from the wood casings around it (painted white semi gloss)?

Jeff

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mdf baseboard ok?

MDF baseboard is more resistant to dings than plastic varieties and some soft woods like pine and poplar.(Yes, I am aware polpar is classified as a hardwood, but classification has little to do with actual strength of the wood)

However, making a scarf joint---the angles cut used to join longitudinal pieces of trim are very difficult to make with NDF as the sharp edges of the scarf joint break off easily and making a coped joint for inside corners has the same problem.

If you can solve or work with those gotchas, and you prime and paint the trim(Not just paint), you should have a nice looking job.

o

"MDF baseboard is more resistant to dings than plastic varieties and some soft woods like pine and poplar."

Really?

MDF dings and chips much worse than either poplar and pine in the installations I see.
If you have all inside corners you can probably get away with MDF.
If you have any outside corners it is very weak and chips out.
Even a vacuum cleaner hitting the corner can cause damage.
If you want nice molding go to a real lumber yard.
The big box places get there from second rate companies that start with 1x lumber that is down to 3/4 inch.
The baseboard is thus 5/8 thick instead of 3/4.

o

You are correct about the outside corners.

I referred to the linear sections---and the paper type MDF---not the pressed sawdust that is sometimes sold as MDF.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here