Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Staining a Mahogany Door / Desired Color

Posted by oldbat2be (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 25, 11 at 8:39

We would like a rich, golden color on our new door. It is currently unfinished. Can anyone please advise what's needed to get from current color to something like the color in the picture?

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Staining a Mahogany Door / Desired Color

Start with some photos of the real door and the species of the wood. There are several mahoganies.

o

Thanks RRM1. Does this help?

o

It looks like there is more figuring in the example door than in yours, but the color should be straight forward. Just do testing on some scrap. I usually spray my stains and mostly blend off-the-shelf stains with pigments and dyes to get what I want. It is also impossible to do from a picture. Every stain maker has its own formulas. Trial and error is the about the only way. It looks like there is a pinkish tint to the wood, so whatever color you choose, you may want to add a little walnut to it to neutralize some of the pink. Walnut will often have a little green in it and that will drive it to more brownish final look. The sample looks reddish, so it may not be necessary. Good luck and come back here, there are knowledgeable people that may help. Looking back at the pic, if the streaking is what you're trying to duplicate, there may be some tricks you can use.
Richard

o

We just had our Mahogany front doors refinished. The door guy mixed his own colors and the match was perfect.
I don't mean to hijack your thread, but our problem now is to maintain the finish. The doors were only up for 4 years and I would like to have suggestions regarding what I should do to prevent weathering? Should I use some kind of wax?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here