Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When I could work with wood

Posted by jbest123 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 17, 09 at 4:24

Hi, this is from my journal and thought I should post it here. I only wish I could still work with wood. Images are clickable for a full view. John

Woodworking, gardening and photography have been my main hobbies all my adult life. When I developed sensitivity to wood dust from the more toxic woods, I had to quit woodworking. Pryor to retirement, I had built up a nice hobby woodshop and all the shop photos are of that woodshop. In preparing for retirement, I decided to upgrade the shop with more industrial type equipment. I ended up with a shop that would rival Norman As shop. Unfortunately, I have no photos of that shop.

shop1

shop2

shop3

shop4

shop5

We live in SW PA. and I bought all my lumber from the Amish. Through the 1980s, I was paying $0.15-$0.20/bf for clear red oak, maple, black cherry and walnut. At that time, the same wood would sell for approximately $4.00/bf. There is a room attached to my shop area that I used to season the rough-cut lumber for a minimum of one year per in of thickness. That room is now a garden shed. With the exception of the nut bowl, grandfather clock and the blue cabinet, all other projects were made with seasoned, air-dried wood.

My very first project was a nut bowl I made in 7th grade woodshop and I also made the anvil and mallet. My farther had a small machine shop in the basement and had taught me how to use most of the equipment. The nut bowl has been used every Christmas for nearly 60 years. Cannot find the mallet, I suspect it is in one of the Christmas boxes.

nut-bowl

This is a grandfathers clock I made for my mother about 1965. The wood used to make the clock came from my mother and fathers first dinning room set with the exception of the curved moldings at the top of the clock.

clock

The poster bed was made from a walnut thee that the carpenter ants had attacked on my grandfathers farm. This was my first experience with the Amish. It cost me $3.00 dollars to have the tree sawed to the sizes I wanted.

posterbed

The bookcase is made from Beechnut which in uncommon. It is a very hard, dense wood with little grain but takes on a nice finish. Your tools had better be sharp though.

bookcase

This cabinet is a recycled bedroom cabinet made to resemble a ships cabinet.

cabinet

An antique refinisher received a civil war field desk to restore. He made detailed drawings of all the parts and asked me to make him six desks. Well, I made seven and there is one setting in my living room.

civilwardesk

The coffee table and end table were made as a set from black cherry.

coffeetable

endtable

The computer desk almost looks like black walnut but it is also cherry.

computerdesk

This is a Governor Winthrop 18 century reproduction including the joining and hardware.

deskopen

An entertainment center that can easily be converted to an armoire.

entertainment

This is a scaled down harvest table used for a kitchen table.

harvesttable

This is a scaled down library table made from the same walnut tree as the poster bed. It was my first attempt at making cabriole legs. The biggest problem with the cabriole style legs is the wood that is wasted.

table

Here is a link that might be useful: John's Journal

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When I could work with wood

WOW!!!
Don

o

Thank you for a very satisfying tour!
Your allergy is a loss to woodworking.

KarinL

o

I still work with wood and have a shop I tinker in with small projects. But the mastercraft of your projects makes me drool and alot of wishing too. Just too bad for the allergy you had to develope in this life. It is so true, THE woodworking community has loss a real woodworker. But do find other things to enjoy and occupy your time

o

Very nice.

o

Wow, seems like such a small word to describe what you have shared with us. BUT WOW. what I wouldn't give to have the talent you have in one pinkie finger!! and all those tools and such a great space to work in. I'm in awe. What wonderful accomplishments and a great story, thanks for sharing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here