Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Knotty Alder Cabinets... Is this 'Blotchy'?

Posted by fst96se (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 12, 11 at 1:52

Hey all, I am thinking of having some new cabinets installed in my kitchen, and I really like the look of a nice dark stained knotty alder. I am attaching a few pictures of a couple kitchens I like.

Is the "blotchiness" I hear some talk about? I really like this look.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Knotty Alder Cabinets... Is this 'Blotchy'?

There is some blotching present

o

There are 2 things going on here. The figuring in the wood is quite dramatic and probably what draws you to these cabinets. There is blotching, some of it preventable, some not so much. If you'll notice the raised panel on the door on the lower between the ovens, that's blotchy as are the drawer fronts. Also notice the drawer edges that are rounded over, this is preventable as are most end-grain staining problems. There are also some careless choices made by whoever laid up the doors. This is gorgeous wood though.

o

End grain staining darkening is a seperate problem from blotching.

End grain always absorbs stains differently than long grain.
Some woods are wore than others (large pores in the wood) and should be treated to prevent excessive darkening before staining.

Blotching is caused by the wood fiber not being parallel to the cut surface.
This to alters how the wood absorbs stain, tending to create darker areas in the midst of what appears as figured flat grain.

It is harder to mitigate, but it can still be minimized by using a coat of about 1 pound cut shellac on the surface before staining.
The shellac is absorbed and helps fill the pores that then cannot absorb the stain as easily.
A light sanding removes the shellac that is on the surface allowing the stain to penetrate those areas as desired.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here