Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mig1980

Sealer for new furniture (Restoration Hardware)

mig1980
9 years ago

Good day everyone. My wife and I recently bought a new round dining table from Restoration Hardware. We noticed that they don't seem to seal any of their furniture to get that rustic, aged look. We are looking to seal the table for use as I don't want to have stains, rings from cups, etc.

The catch is that we want to keep that aged, flat look. What would you guys recommend that would be durable, flat finish (no sheen), and easy to apply evenly (would prefer not to have anything I would need to brush as I don't want brush marks).

Any input is greatly appreciated but need something that meets all of these criteria as I don't want to ruin the table.

Thank you

Comments (5)

• handymac
    9 years ago

Contact the company to get a correct answer. Look under the Products group.

Much better idea than asking us on line.

Here is a link that might be useful: RH frequently asked questions

• bobismyuncle
    9 years ago

be aware that most, if not all, finishes are going to change the look of the piece.

I've worked on a bunch of RH pieces and never understood the appeal of a "no finish" piece that is one dropped meatball or spilled red wine from disaster.

There may be a solution, but a protective finish needs a film-forming layer and an in-the-wood finish is not going to be very protective. To add in complications, you say you don't want to brush. Are you able to spray products effectively? If not, that leaves a wipe-on finish.

This post was edited by bobsmyuncle on Mon, Oct 27, 14 at 19:25

• mig1980
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have tried reaching out to RH. They are no help.

bobsmyuncle...can you elaborate on your question of spraying products effectively? No sure how a spray on product could be sprayed effectively or not.

I would love to hear of products and examples of how the product applied would look so that my wife and I can make a determination.

Thank you

• bobismyuncle
    9 years ago

A "water white" very low sheen (may be called Dead Flat), 0 to 5 degree sheen lacquer would stand the best chance of providing some protection without significant change to the tone of the existing finish. This could either be a traditional nitrocellulose lacquer or even a water-borne acrylic. But either of these would be best, or maybe require, being sprayed on.

Oil based finishes, either oil alone, oil-varnish blends (sometimes marketed as Danish Oil, Antique Oil, etc.), or oil-based varnish will give quite a different look to the finish. It will amber the tone and provide a "wet" look emphasizing the grain and figure. Same with shellac.

Wax-only finish would provide virtually no protection. Oil only, such as boiled linseed oil, would not be much better.

That pretty much exhausts the finish choices that you are likely to find.

But first, find out if RH applied anything to the current surface. If it's waxed, you may have adhesion problems with applying any other top coat.

• jeff-1010
    9 years ago

bobsmyuncle is right on all accounts. one thing you might consider. i know you don't want to brush on but.. use a dead flat urethane . the brush marks from dead flat are very hard to see.but like bob said, you HAVE to get ALL the wax and what ever finish off first. a silicon and wax cleaner will do it . wipe on wet, and wipe off with a clean white rag till the rag comes up clean and let dry. do this outside if you can or get a fan and open windows. lightly sand with 220 sand paper and wipe the sanding dust off with a clean rag and a bit more cleaner. you'll get much better results with a good brush,so don't cheap out. get the best brush you can afford (4" wide is good but no bigger) and make sure it's for urethane. a wood working store or a good hardware store should have all this.