Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grain in oak cabinets. I want to paint. Can I hide the grain?

Posted by clc08 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 2, 07 at 23:51

I want to paint my honey-oak kitchen cabinets and have been told that even with primer and 3 coats of paint, the grain will still be obvious. Is there anything I can do to minimize the grain?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grain in oak cabinets. I want to paint. Can I hide the grain

Not easily.
Paste filler is used to fill in grain but it will not stick well to already finished surfaces.
Even if you sand off the existing finish, it will still remain in the pores where the filler needs to stick.

You can minimize the grain by sanding, but few finishes are thick enough to cut back from the flat parts of the surface and leave the grain filled.

The only real way is a compatible top coat and sanding back.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here