Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I remove glass from window

Posted by lady_alicia (afinalword@aol.com) on
Fri, Sep 17, 10 at 23:35

I have an old window with a wooden frame that I'd like to remove the glass from, but I'm not sure how to go about doing it the easiest way. Obviously I need to wear some heavy-duty gloves, eyewear, etc. I read one time where someone put it in a garbage bag and then took a hammer to it so the pieces fell inside the bag. Or does someone else have a better idea? Don't know if I'm on the right track or way off?? :)

Thanks,
Alicia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I remove glass from window

First, you need a utility knife and a putty knife to cut away the caulking. Under the caulking, you will fing glazier's points. Little triangle shaped keepers that hold the glass in the space. A flat screwdriver and a small hammer can be used to renove those.

The piece of glass will then lift out in one piece, which is MUCH safer!

Now, if you break the glass, you will still have to do all the above. It will be much more dangerous with pieces of broken glass to work around.

o

Thanks, Handymac. I really appreciate it. Wasn't sure where to post this and get an answer, so thanks!!! Now I know what I'll do today. :)

Alicia

o

"Now, if you break the glass, you will still have to do all the above. It will be much more dangerous with pieces of broken glass to work around."

If you decide to break out glass for removal, cover it with tape first.

It is much safer to then break the glass, cut the tape, and remove the pieces.

o
RE: Thanks for the tip!

Oh, that's a good tip. I was just thinking that knowing me, I'll probably end up breaking a piece as I remove it. Gotta find some good gloves too! Don't want to cut my hands. But I have some duct tape here that I'll cover any broken pieces. Hopefully that won't occur, but what a great tip. Thanks! :)

I'll post a pic of it when I'm finished removing the glass. It's obscure glass. Just thought of that. Any difference in removal?? Can't imagine there would be.....

o
RE: Glass removed!

Here are the pics of before and after the glass was removed. Thanks, again, for the advice. Now I need to strip it and go from there. Sorry for the bigger pics. I tried to resize and only one took.

BEFORE:

BeforeGlassRemoved

Photobucket

AFTER:

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here