Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
shellac over old shellac

Posted by teegs (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 27, 08 at 23:30

The trim and back of each step in our entry hall stairwell is original and very worn shellac, steps are worn down to the wood in the center. Do I need to remove all of the old shellac before I apply more? I have been cleaning it up with alcohol & 3m pad but to get it all off is going to take some work in an awkward space. If I don't remove all the old shellac will it show? Clearly this is all new to me. Just bought a big 'project' house. Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: shellac over old shellac

Wipe it clean with paint thinner, then some denatured alcohol.
New shellac will dissolve into old shellac very well, but it may produce an uneven appearance since you will have more finish on the less worn spots

If you are using the same color and grade of shellac I would consider multiple coats on the worn areas to make the match the old finish, and then a couple coats over everything to even out everything.

o
RE: shellac over old shellac

If you use denatured alcohol on shellac youw ill remove it.
Which may not be a bad thing to do! As Brickeye said a thicker coating will perhaps appear darker than the coating on the worn areas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here