Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strip and Re-stain OR Paint these End Tables?

Posted by fillagirl (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 22:37

Hello, I bought these two end tables at a thrift store because I liked the size and shape and thought they'd go with my furniture. They look like they are maple wood, made in the 1950s.

I want them to be black or near black. Wondering whether I should:

1) Strip and re-stain them OR
2) Sand them down and paint black

The top has a nice pattern (quadrant) but it's not essential that you see it. The tables have a few dings and one of the tops has a cigarette burn.

What recommendation would you make re: re-staining or painting? Also, I understand maple is hard to stain...should that factor in the decision?

Thanks in advance for your help!
 photo EndTable_zpscf664ee3.jpg
Top view of end table photo <a href=End Table Quadrant photo EndTablequadranttop_zpsbed2aa95.jpg.jpg"/>
End Table Cig Burn photo EndTablecigburn_zps1002c47f.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strip and Re-stain OR Paint these End Tables?

I'd think about varnish on top and oiled, black milk paint elsewhere. If the varnish didn't work out, I'd paint the tops black, too.

I'd ignore the cigarette burn except to sand the edges flat and to try to fill it with varnish. Embrace that '50s Betty Davis style. Someone with a good eye and steady hands could probably obscure it a lot with artist's paints.

o
RE: Strip and Re-stain OR Paint these End Tables?

It's really a blank canvas at this point -- do with it what you want to end up with.

If you are going to paint: only recommendations are:
- Clean thoroughly with both dish detergent and water, then mineral spirits.
- Sand only enough to dull the finish
- Fill the burn with putty and sand to level
- Apply shellac or shellac-based primer (e.g., BIN) as a barrier / bonding coat. This will seal in any potential silicone oil (Pledge) contamination
- Paint

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here