Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Matching color of old cherry wood to new

Posted by wolnekram (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 12, 09 at 22:14

We are in the process of building a new "old" home. I purchased an old newel post that once gently stripped, is beautifully patinated cherry. To meet the code regs of the railing height more (new) cherry was added to the bottom.
Any suggestions regarding how to get these two woods much closer in color? Also the hand rail is new cherry as well. Any help deeply appreciated. Thanks in advance. I will try to follow with post of pictures.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Matching color of old cherry wood to new

Hi,'
The cherry frame of this cabinet (the door panels are maple) were dyed with a solution of lye and water. I was told that it is the only way to instantly age cherry wood. Does it look close? The thing about stains on cherry is that they muddy the grain more or less, but this treatment changes the color of the wood itself. Hope this helps, if you need more details let me know.
Photobucket
Casey

o
RE: Matching color of old cherry wood to new

I have used lye to age cherry, but it comes with three warnings:
- It is extremely caustic. Skin, and especially eye, protection is mandatory.

- You may have a hard time finding it. It used to be as easy as Red Devil drain cleaner at the grocery store. Thanks to meth labs, you can't get this any longer.

- It is what I call a "ready, fire, aim" approach. You will get what you get with no chance to force the results. You can adjust the results, somewhat, in advance, by sampling various concentrations of water and lye crystals. But I have gotten different results on different pieces of wood with the same solution.

Another option is to
- Apply a heavy coat of boiled linseed oil, let it soak for 20 minutes, and wipe off all the excess
- Let dry several days or more
- Apply garnet shellac (Dewaxed if you are going to follow up with polyurethane or w/b finish).
- Apply finish of choice

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here