Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which wood for gray weathered look?

Posted by giantscale13 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 2, 07 at 20:46

I need a tongue and groove board ,which I will install on a exterior wall , to match the gray color of the house.

Should I use white cedar with a gray transparent stain?

I planned on using Cabots weathering stain but now wonder how good of a product it is since the company was sold.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which wood for gray weathered look?

Valspar bought Cabot. It is rare to find a brand name now that is not owned by one of the major 5 or 6 big paint mfrs -- RPM, PPG, Valspar, Sherwin-Williams, and Azko-Nobel (I may be forgetting one of them).

For the most part, most of these parent companies leave the subsidiaries working independently.

So... I don't think that's a reason not to use Cabot.

o

it's my understanding that red cedar, if left unstained will naturally weather to a silver gray, at which point you can seal it. If you're trying to match an existing color, I'd take a piece to your home building store and ask them to help match it.

o

It is White Cedar that if left unstained will weather to a silver gray.
If you use Red Cedar it will have to be treated with a bleaching oil to achieve the lighter silver look you desire.

o

Thanks and sorry for the late reply. But Iv been searching for white cedar.

Unfortunately I cant find white cedar in Iowa. Plenty of red cedar here. I found yellow cedar in Wisconsin but they want $16.00 a board foot! LOL

I did find rough cut cypress for $2.00 per board foot. It does have some areas of brown in it though.

Will the cypress turn silver gray with time? Are there different cypress's like the different cedars Iv just learned about?

Thanks

o

Hi giantscale,

You didn't say where you live, but True North Cedar Inc. has White Cedar tongue and groove boards, and they say they sell at wholesale prices.

(FYI, teak will also weather to a very nice silver gray.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here