Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gel stain for veneer door problem

Posted by allebed (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 16, 10 at 20:20

I want to gel stain a wood veneer door which previously had molding which i removed. Now after stripping and and sanding the door, I can still see the outline or shaded area where the molding used to be. Will this show when i put the gel stain on (i am going to use a dark stain). I didnt want to sand too deeply since the wood veneer is so thin. What should i do to make sure the gel stain does not make a design of what was there before (if that makes sense).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gel stain for veneer door problem

Only way to find out is to apply the gel stain. Gel stain is basically just a modified paint. It is not really a stain in the sense it is absorbed by the wood. It is formulated to let some of the wood grain show through, so there is a good chance it will let the outline of the trim show as well.

o
RE: Gel stain for veneer door problem

It is very possible the wood that was not under the molding has shifted color slightly. Most woods lighten from exposure (UV in sunlight speeding up changes), a few darken, and some change color (purpleheart).

Only a dark pigment stain is liable to obscure the changes, and at that point you might as well paint.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here