Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
making a cutting board

Posted by tap04 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 3, 07 at 20:09

i have a just cut 3 inch thick cross section from the trunk of a maple. how do i make a cutting board/chop block? i know it has to dry and be sanded, but what steps do i take to do this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: making a cutting board

The cross-section of a tree trunk like you describe will be almost impossible to dry without damage. Because of the way trees' cellular structure works, wood tends to shrink, as it dries, something like a pie being eaten slice by slice, or like a paper fan being closed. The diameter will not change much, but cracks will open from the center out to the bark, and cracks in a cutting board are a bad idea. There are exceptional circumstances, but simply drying and flattening the slice is fairly unlikely to work.

To get a similar look, you may have to cut the slice in half while it's green, so that it can shrink without damage, then flatten the cut edges and glue the pieces together after drying.

o

The diameter will change (this is called radial shrinkage), but in most woods, the circumference will change about twice as much (tangential shrinkage). Since
circumference = pi * diameter,
something has to give and a split usually occurs. There will me negligible shrinkage along the grain, (up and down the tree), in your case, in thickness.

Otherwise, I agree with Jon1270

o

One trick I was told about, but have not tried myself, is to coat both surfaces with 1/4" or more of beeswax and set it aside for a year or so. This is supposed to slow down the drying/curing process and thus reduce the splitting that occurs when the wood dries unevenly.
This was done by wheelrights that needed unsplit logs for wheel hubs.

o

My saying: "In the end, the wood has the final say."

R.Bruce Hoadley put it more broadly:
"Wood comes from trees. This is the most important fact to remember in understanding the nature of wood. Whatever qualities or shortcomings wood possesses are traceable to the tree whence it came. Wood evolved as a functional tissue of plants rather than as a material designed to satisfy the needs of woodworkers. Thus, knowing wood as it grows in nature is basic to working successfully with it."

Wheelright's hubs have two advantages
1. They have a hole in the middle. Ponder the math of this.
2. They were made from a wood with interlocking grain and less prone to split.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here