Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with mismatched stain

Posted by dizzy810 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 14, 11 at 19:46

Hey everyone. I am having a problem with my new cedar garage door not matching up to the shutters on my house. The shutters were stained by our builder last year. The product they used was this http://www.duraseal.com/sections/products/cs/stains/pen-fini.htm in antique brown. This stain was used throughout the home, on our floors, trim, front door, fireplace mantel.
Now, after a recent hail storm we had to replace our garage door so we decided to replace it with a cedar door. I wanted to match the shutters so I bought the same stain but it has come out quite a bit darker. We like the color but we want the door to match the shutters.

Is there anything that can be done? Is it possible to lighten the door or should we try to darken the shutters?

Thanks for the help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with mismatched stain

Unfortunately cedar sucks up stain pretty dramatically. You should have asked your builder a lot more than just what stain he used. For instance, was the stain diluted, did he condition the cedar first, etc.? The stain has pretty well penetrated the wood, it is now dry, maybe something could have been done right after you applied the stain. Always do a test when trying to match any stain; even the same species of wood will take stains differently. If is was NOT a penetrating stain (a pigment stain and not a dye stain, sanding the door down to raw wood might remove some of it. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here