Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
That honey color

Posted by CEFreeman (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 14, 12 at 19:41

Hi all!
I've got some wood I've used that wonderful Australian Timber Oil on. I love how it goes on without a shine.

This piece has taken on too much of a honey color. It might be the ATO, but that didn't happen on other pieces. Anyway, I read this in a thread that discussed creating an aged look:

>> I'd start with white and tint it to light gray with a bit of green undertone to cancel any warm tones naturally in the wood. (Of course, no other topcoat would be compatible with the wax.) <<

Where I'm going with this, is I'd like to take some of the honey color out of this piece. So..
1) Would sanding it some, then adding a tone as described above?
2) And, (of course) is there a gray you'd recommend, or should I add a tiny bit of green to a gray?
3) If gray/green takes the honey out of a piece (or changes the tone), what takes out the red?

Thanks all!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: That honey color

Honey is yellow....make a light blue wash....put a few drops of oil based artist's color in a tube.... mix a small dab of ultra marine or Prussian blue with some of that oil and rub it on.
The blue will neutralize the orange tone in the wood.....remember...not too much blue...you can always add more.

o

LindaC,
Everything in me screams "GREEN!"

And neutralize it towards what color? Brown? Green? Red? Gray?

In my head, I can't get past the idea that I'll have a green door. I'm willing to try, but would like your opinion on the color question!!

Thanks for the 1st step.

o

Color theory 101:

To neutralize a color (toward brown) you add the color opposite
Red : Green
Yellow : Purple
Blue : Orange

The mnemonics to remember these are:
* Christmas
* Easter
* University of Illinois (well, easy for an alumnus like me)
or
The opposite of a primary color is the blend of the other two primary colors (red - blue - yellow)

Red : Green (yellow + blue)
Yellow : Purple (red + blue)
Blue : Orange (red + yellow)

A wood finisher's green is usually raw umber.
A wood finisher's purple is usually cordovan.
A wood finisher's red is usually burnt umber or burnt sienna

"Honey" is not really a defined color*. Might be yellow to one person, amber to another, light brown to someone else.

Rules of color matching:
- Never let anyone describe a color to you in words.*
- Always do a sample on scrap before committing to your project
- You can always go darker, but it's tough to go lighter
- There's no substitute for experience, but samples and color theory will help.
- You can almost always start over and obey the above rules.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here