Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fir Stain Question

Posted by sdkitchen (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 4, 09 at 19:16

Hello, and thanks in advance for any advice. We are having a house built and I asked for vertical grain fir interior trim (windows, baseboards, etc.) I am not a wood worker (which is why I am here asking for advice) and so I am not sure what to request for stain. I am having natural red oak floors and natural finish cherry cabinetry in the house. I though I would need to stain the fir in order to make it look different. You know, so it doesn't look like I was trying to make everything match but missed. But, I picked up some stains and have been trying them and I don't care for them. I took one piece of the wood and put some oil on it (cooking oil, sorry I don't have anything else) and that looked really pretty.

So my questions are...
Will it look okay to use all the woods together without staining any of them?
Does the oil sort of replicate a natural finish with semigloss polyurethane, if that is what is used?
Will the fir look super orangey?
If I stain, will that coverup all the natural grain and color variation that I love?
If I should stain, can you recommend a (Minwax) stain color I should consider?

Thanks so much for any advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here