Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Countertop with water of wood

Posted by aliris19 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 9, 13 at 19:00

It's clear many, many here and in kitchens and baths too have managed to make countertops over the years that have weathered water on and around them.

I have a dresser that I want to turn into a vanity with a bathroom sink in its top. I'd prefer to use an undermount sink that I have and frankly, lift up the wood top, brace underneath and finish the top tighter than a drum and set it back down on the sink.

I see many, many examples of people with wood sountertops set around sinks who are happy with them. But many are not as well. I had someone else finish another dresser for me in this way and it is a rotted mess. And then my neighbor who is a woodworker just shakes his head at this, saying that water and wood don't mix, he's seem too many problems over the years etcc.....

But still I want to try again. My questions: is there one "best-for-water" finish or does it depend on the wood in question? Can this be done on a dresser top that's not all that thick? Can you really lift off the top, place it and refinish it and wind up with a thick-enough top? What is the finish(es) that all these people are using that works so excellently?

Thanks for your information about what finish(es) work so well with water -- and why it sometimes does not, whether that's due to the product used or faulty workmanship, for example?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Countertop with water of wood

All the reasons you named plus a few. First I will tell you how I overcame water damage in projects with top mounted basins and vessel sinks. Take a drawer to a retailer of Wilson Art,Formica or other high pressure laminate sheets. They will have several samples on display plus dozens more "on a chain". Chose a pattern and color you like with the drawer. Applying the laminate is beound capibility of all but talented woodworkers so you make the call. That's all there was to it on mine but with undermount,you have to do somthing about raw wood cutout around rim of sink. 2 part epoxiy or a very tricky install of same laminate as top are two options. I highly reccomend useing a non-hardening non-drying product between sink and bottom surface of dresser top. The sources I get it is glass companies,rv dealers and metal building material outlets. I have never seen a varnish,oil,polyuarthane or other finish stand up to counter top use. I have asked bar owners and all have said they refinish natural wood tops often.
I prefer useing marble,granite or other solid material as replacement for dresser top when doing under mounts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here