Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aliris19

Countertop with water of wood

aliris19
10 years ago

It's clear many, many here and in kitchens and baths too have managed to make countertops over the years that have weathered water on and around them.

I have a dresser that I want to turn into a vanity with a bathroom sink in its top. I'd prefer to use an undermount sink that I have and frankly, lift up the wood top, brace underneath and finish the top tighter than a drum and set it back down on the sink.

I see many, many examples of people with wood sountertops set around sinks who are happy with them. But many are not as well. I had someone else finish another dresser for me in this way and it is a rotted mess. And then my neighbor who is a woodworker just shakes his head at this, saying that water and wood don't mix, he's seem too many problems over the years etcc.....

But still I want to try again. My questions: is there one "best-for-water" finish or does it depend on the wood in question? Can this be done on a dresser top that's not all that thick? Can you really lift off the top, place it and refinish it and wind up with a thick-enough top? What is the finish(es) that all these people are using that works so excellently?

Thanks for your information about what finish(es) work so well with water -- and why it sometimes does not, whether that's due to the product used or faulty workmanship, for example?

Comment (1)