Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
refinishing a koa wood kitchen table

Posted by tutu.smith (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 29, 11 at 18:33

I have a koa wood kitchen table that is getting gummy on top. Not sure what finish was put on it but it has several gummy spots and things stick to it. It also has cracks between the boards where caulk or something is chipping out. It is about 6 years old. Need advice on stripping, sanding or what to so to refinish and make this table look good and be able to be used by the family without worrying about homework sticking to the table. Wondering how to handle the cracks? Scrape out the stuff and leave them o fill with what? Any suggestions would be welcome. Please be detailed as I have never refinished wood before. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: refinishing a koa wood kitchen table

You should try to post a photo of the table. The first thing is to clean it. (Soap and water and/or mineral spirits) Next is to determine the existing finish or just go hell-bent and strip it. Try checking a small area on edge with de-natured alcohol to see if it removes the finish (I doubt if it will), if so it is shellac. Next try Lacquer thinner, if it comes off, it is lacquer. (most likely).

More importantly, initially, I'd try to determine what's going on with the joinery. "caulk or something is chipping out" is not normal. Are the joints tight or open? And you're sure this is solid Koa?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here