Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
david123_gw

Finishing an oak desktop (new wood) and have a question or two?!?

david123
15 years ago

We are doing a bit of a facelift for our kitchen and are adding a few stained oak pieces to mostly off-white painted cabinetry. A few open bookcases with oak beadboard were to be stained, the beadboard on the island too, and an oak desktop.

I started with the oak beadboard backed bookcases. An oil based stain, then two coats of Zar quick dry oil based polyurethane. A bit of bubbling/heavy areas that sanded just fine with 220 grit, and the final coat looked great. The larger pieces of beadboard, not as good- the second coat still has some unevenness that I guess I will be sanding and recoating a third time.

My question is this...should I continue this same process with the oak desktop? Will I get less bubbling/unevenness with a regular zar poly vs the quick dry? I have been using a vacuum and tack cloth between coats to minimize blips but I guess I'm still having some problems. I am using a china bristle brush.

I want the desktop to be durable, and "match" the other pieces going into the room, so will a different polyurethane clash with what I have already done?

Help! Thanks so much!!

Comments (2)