Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tsp dripped on table

Posted by salbwil (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 25, 07 at 17:18

Hello,
I posted this in another forum before finding this one. I recently dripped some phosphate free TSP onto my dining room table . The drops took the finish off where they landed !
Is there a cure for this other than a total stripping of the finish as it is veneered?
Thanks,
salbwil

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tsp dripped on table

Did it take the finish off, or just dull it? If the latter, you may be able to buff it out.

Do you know what sort of finish it is?

o

It ate the finish down to the bare wood. I believe it is varnish. The table is from the 20's. I guess I'l have to sand carefully and poly..............do you think that may work?
And thanks,
salbwil

o

Unless it was refinished in someone's garage, it is likely not varnish, but more likely shellac or lacquer. Both are more repairable than varnish. I will sometimes use a TSP solution to clean shellac brushes. A strong base, it neutralizes acidic shellac very quickly.

the article below will give you a good idea of how to repair shellac damage

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.popularwoodworking.com/articledisplay?id=14742

o

Thanks,
I will test first with denatured alcohol, then with lacquer thinner and see what happens. Appreciate the help !
salbwil

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here