Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pretty cherry door on playwood frame...

Posted by milele (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 17, 10 at 16:01

We need an armoir to fit a 50w space. We have walls R, L and back. The sides of it will not be seen, however we would like to have cherry doors with frame for the front screwed on a playwood carcasses. Is it possible to build something like this saving some money? To buy a cherry armoire to fit a 50wx60hx21d is more than $2k
We have the same problem with a window bench 14' long. We need pretty face frame and door (on the front) and a nice top. I have been asked $1600 for the front, door and top only...is there any way I can have my storage/seating space in cherry in a more economical way. Cabinetry quotes were even worse. Any suggestion would be appreciated

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pretty cherry door on playwood frame...

You could use a piece of Baltic birch plywood that comes in 5' square sheets.

However, that ply is very light colored and it will be quite difficult to match any cherry color. Plus, any cherry wood(for use in the doors) will naturally age darker, and the colored ply will not. That creates a strange looking piece in just a couple years.

You could buy birch doors and use the same stain/dye(which will almost certainly come out a different color than the ply due to the differences in the woods used) and try to get close.

That will not be easy.

The problems in doing what you want are one reason the costs are so high.

o

I don't know what you $1600 quote includes but it certainly sounds pretty reasonable. I couldn't sell you a cherry window bench for $115 per foot.

o

It includes only face frame and top. we will have to build the boxes

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here