Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wheatciti

How to burn my kitchen table *properly on purpose**

wheatciti
14 years ago

I have 5 children and so my light maple solid wood table has scratches dents, and the varnish off in places.

I would love to turn it into a distressed burnt looking table that would make you think it was out side for a hundred years (and set on fire:-)

How do I do this?

My DH won't let me near his torches

Comments (5)

• mike_kaiser_gw
    14 years ago

Maybe lighter fluid? A torch would probably offer far more control. If DH won't let you use his, they do sell them at any hardware store.

Needless to say you want to do this outdoors well away from anything flammable. Probably be a good idea to have a fire extinguisher handy too. Exercise extreme caution.

• handymac
    14 years ago

Please do not attempt that yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cannot imagine the damage that might happen if you used lighter fluid or some other fluid.

I think antiquing the top with faux painting techniques and sanding and then finishing with a fuirniture varnish would be much safer.

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

I wouldn't use an open flame or flammable liquids (except for naptha/mineral spirits for refinishing, and then follow directions for use and disposal).

If you want to "burn" this and make it look like it had been in service for decades, how about stripping it, neutralizing the stripper as directed, letting it dry, then putting a hot pot or iron on the bare wood (just touch it, don't leave it)? Sand lightly (leave the burn marks and dents), wipe some dark stain in and then wipe off so the stain stays in the dents and scratches, then finish as desired.

Take it easy and don't overdo it - you want to distress it, not destroy it.

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

You can use an old iron set on high and do some creative "woodburning."

• lindac
    14 years ago

I have seen furniture that has been "torched"... a propane torch like for plumbing or paint removal used to burn some of the wood. Use a flame spreader and as some of the wood chars, use a wire brush to brush it away...
    AND do it outside with a water source near by! I guess it's possible to start a fire and not know it until later....so be careful!
    And practice first on some scrap wood!
    Linda C