Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Half wall ledge?

Posted by callen33 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 20, 07 at 15:37

I am finishing my basement this is a split level house. So around the perimeter of the basement there is a 6" wide ledge where the foundation block meets the framing. Everything is rocked and painted and I am finishing the ledge with 7" wide 1" thick wood. Where I am stuck is in the corners and the long stretches where two ends meet. What is the best way to join these spots to hide cuts and to keep the ends from popping, If that makes sense?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Miter

Miter the joints. If the corner is 90 degrees, miter each board to 45 and join them. The corners are seldom an exact 90, so you may need to trim a little one way or the other. This works for inside or outside corners. If it is an inside corner, you could also simply butt them together and secure with a spline or biscuit to keep them from shifting.

For long stretches, you can also miter to whatever angle looks good to you, 45, 30, 20, etc. This creates what is called a scarf joint. The reason for doing this is that you won't see a gap if the boards shift apart slightly. You could also secure these with a spline or biscuit.

o
RE: Half wall ledge?

Hi callen and all. I hope you guys don't mind my bumping this back to the top...and hijacking a bit.;o) My husband and I are actually also in need of a ledge for our basement. Your situation sounds very much like ours callen. While my husband may need the advice on installing the ledge, I am in desperate need of suggestions for the design of the ledge itself. We have tinkered around with certain ideas and just haven't hit on anything yet that truly excites us. I would just do an image search to get ideas, but I don't even know how I'd phrase it in order to get the results I'm after. So if anyone has any pictures/ideas I'd love to hear them....perhaps you have a mock up of the ledge you're doing callen? If so I'd love to see it if possible.
Thanks for any help you guys can give me and I hope you don't mind my hijack of your thread callen.:o)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here