Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
la_koala

Best way to finish new threshold piece?

la_koala
15 years ago

Hi,

We had a carpenter create a new interior doorway and install the new door, trim, threshold, etc. He left the task of finishing the new threshold to us. :-)

The threshold is unfinished oak, and the threshold for the other door into the room is finished oak with a reddish tone.

I'm seeking advice on the best way to stain and finish the threshold. The carpenter suggested to just put two coats of polyurethane, but my husband would like to have the color more match the existing threshold.

Now, dear husband had picked up a can of MinWax Polyshades at the store, before I searched this forum and saw all of the warnings. Luckily, when I did a test of the MixWax on an oak scrap, the color is not what I want, so I have an opportunity to use something else. :-)

- Any recommendations for how to finish this oak threshold? Would I use a stain and then a clear polyurethane coat?

- Any recommendations on brands to use?

- Why does the MinWax can say "Not for use on floors", as does the Varathane? Would a threshold fall into the "floor" category or "trim" category?

Thanks in advance!

la koala

Comments (2)