Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jk55

What type of wood is this cabinet?

jk55
12 years ago

I am looking to refacing my 1980s oak kitchen cabinets and really like the look of these cabinets, but not sure what type of wood this is and if it is stained or natural with clear coat finish. Can anyone help?

thanks....

jk

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (11)

• RRM1
    12 years ago

I'm not sure of species, but it is a clear coat. I have some hickory that resembles the figuring and color. There are a couple of guys here that should know.

• jk55
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you...I was thinking it was either hickory or cherry, leaning more toward cherry. But I really am not an expert on this at all. I thought the dark and light parts looked a bit more blended and "creamy" than the hickory I've seen. Hopefully someone will know for sure. I'm glad you think it is clear coat, though. That is what I was hoping for to reduce my cost.

• jk55
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, I forgot to mention, if you click on the picture it magnifies quite a bit.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• User
    12 years ago

Pecan, if not hickory.

• jk55
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Interesting....I don't think I've ever seen pecan before. So I guess I'm off in thinking it is cherry...

• RRM1
    12 years ago

No matter what it is, it has character. There is great activity in the grain, so I wouldn't cover it up with pigmented stain or paint. The clear coat is probably conversion varnish or lacquer. Why do you want to re-face it? What do YOU mean by "re-face"?

The only think I find wrong is the cabinets don't go to the ceiling, so the crown just seems to sit there. If they are dull or the finish is thin, then refinish might be more appropriate. One thing that might make it look less dated is to replace the knobs and pulls.
    Richard

• bobismyuncle
    12 years ago

I'd vote for hickory / pecan (related and often sold in construction interchangeably), and definitely not cherry.

• jk55
    Original Author
    12 years ago

These are not my cabinets, they are a picture I found on a kitchen website which I like and want to reface my cabinets in this wood. My cabinets are 1980s oak. Refacing is a process whereby you remove the doors and drawer fronts and replace with totally new doors/drawer fronts of the wood species, finish and styling of your choosing, and the rest of the exposed sides of the cabinets are "faced" with a wood veneer that is of the same material and finish as the doors. This would be done by a furniture refinisher/restoration company in my area that also builds cabinets, which I would need also in order to add a penninsula to my kitchen. The unfinished doors/drawers come from a cabinet door/drawer supplier. It is a fraction of the cost to redo a kitchen without all of the tear out of replacing the whole thing. And it only takes days instead of weeks and months to install. I've seen pictures of their work and they are virtually indistinguishable from totally replaced cabinets from scratch. We are also having the countertops replaced after the cabinets are complete and in place.

Thanks for all of the responses to my query. I guess I might be looking at hickory.

• cabinetsbyalan
    12 years ago

I think it may be soft maple. Soft maple is also called red maple or silver maple. Hickory has a more open grain like oak, from the picture it looks like the wood has a fine texture like that of maple. The streaks are also a characteristic of soft maple. Don't let the word soft turn you off, it's still pretty hard but not as hard as hard maple.

• jk55
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, I finally got ahold of the kitchen designer from where these cabinets were purchased (this was from their website, they were temporarily closed due to the devastating flooding in the NE), and she said it is a regular hickory (not rustic) with a light to medium stain.
    I really liked the toned down look of this hickory....thank you to all of your helpful responses!!!
    jk

• jhodg13
    11 years ago

Your 1980s cabinets can be refaced to look like pictured cabinets which are hickory I recently refaced a kitchen with honey stained hickory which began as a very dated white pickled red oak kitchen Attached is the finished product which my clients described as going from an ugly duckling to a beautiful swan in just 2 days...Wish I could show "before and after" photos on this site.