Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missyv_gw

Making an island from base cabs

MIssyV
12 years ago

We are toying with the idea of using our existing 4 base cabinets to make an island out of them. I have looked online for some style designs to get some ideas, but shockingly have not come up with much. I would like to see some style options with directions :)

Comments (7)

• RRM1
    12 years ago

I've noticed that your post has been here for some time. I'll wager you have got a number of looks from this forum, but most will have thought, "if you had a design, I could show you how to build it, but you need to tell me what you want to build."

So, may I suggest that you cross-post this same question in the Home Decoration and the Kitchen forums and see what you come up with. I think the folks in HD & K will give you more ideas than you might expect.

• MIssyV
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I did post it to the kitchen area at the same time, but no one actually had a "how to" rather it became a debate about running electricity to the island to make it up to code. That thread got a bit off track :)

Our base cabs are 62 1/2 inches by about 25 inches deep since there is a panel across the back, as they are free standing and not along a wall. I guess I was hoping someone could tell me where to go from here. Is it just slapping a counter top on top of these cabs, or do we need to make some supports along the side walls, using legs or something like that?

• MIssyV
    Original Author
    12 years ago

this is too big for my kitchen, but this is the style i am going for....

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• MIssyV
    Original Author
    12 years ago

this may be a simpler option?

Here is a link that might be useful: island #2

• RRM1
    12 years ago

You need to find a cabinet maker in your area to make end panels and apply some pseudo legs if that is the look you want. The second photo seems to show the same approximate length as your cabs. The first just has a much deeper top surface and longer sides over a single row of base cabs. Should be relatively straight forward. It is more of a design/style issue, not so much a construction one. Find a couple of cabinet makers take some pics along and the dimensions and get a drawings made and estimates.

You will need to decide what you want in the island in the way of services, if any. (water, electrical and lighting, you'll need lighting overhead) It's also nice to have an electrical outlet even if you just plan on using it as a prep area. Let me know if you have more questions.

• MIssyV
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks RRM1. I have had two cabinet makers here, one was just way too much money for us. He wanted over $1900 to build something from our existing cabs. I think I can buy a brand new island for that :) I am still waiting to get the estimate from the second guy.

Would we be nuts to tackle this ourselves if the quotes are out of our price range? I am like you, it doesn't *appear* to be that difficult, but I don't want to jump in to something that is way over our heads!

• RRM1
    12 years ago

"It doesn't appear to be that difficult" for a cabinet maker or someone with a panel saw, edge bander, joiner, paint spray booth, pin nailer, RO sander and all of the rest of the tools needed. Not so much for a DIYer project without experience. You'll need to send it out to a finisher, it should be a CV finish, for it to last in that environment. So, $1900 may be a little high, but with installation and fabrication, materials and labor; maybe not too much.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz