Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cefreeman_gw

My orbital sander isn't orbiting

CEFreeman
11 years ago

Or something like that.

My brand new, Dewalt orbital sander is having little spasms.

It sounds fine, but the pad part is only moving around it fits and starts.

I used it well on a door recently and was thrilled with it. Did I wear it out all ready?

Any experience with not orbiting orbital sanders?

Thanks.

Comments (8)

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

" Did I wear it out all ready? "

Dewalt is a Black & Decker company.

How much did you pay for it?

Some of the stuff is REALLY cheap.

• handymac
    11 years ago

Is it a variable speed model?

The switch could be inbetween speed settings.

The random orbit function is driven by a small belt, which could be broken.

If it is within the warrantee period, return it.

There are better sanders for not much more money. Makita, Bosch and Milwaukee as examples.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    11 years ago

There's a little belt in there that drives the pad and it may be loose or damaged. The pad should stop spinning (or spin slowly) when lifted from the surface and spin when in contact with the surface. You shouldn't apply more downward pressure and it takes to control the sander, pressing harder is not better. Let the sander do the work.

I'd exchange it for a new one. DeWalt has a 90 day "no questions asked" return policy.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    11 years ago

Just as an FYI, Milwaukee is now owned by Techtronic Industries Co. Ltd. of Hong Kong. They also own/make Ryobi, Ridgid power tools, AEG, Hoover, Dirt Devil, and Homelite. I believe the make some power tools for Sears/Craftsman as well.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"There are better sanders for not much more money. Makita, Bosch and Milwaukee as examples. "

the pr0pblem is that every manufacturer now has 'consumer tools' in their product line.

There IS a difference between the $100 plus tool and the $30 tool.

B&D lost sight of this long ago and wrecked their brand name.

They purchased Rockwll's hand power tool division, wrecked that name the same as their own, then purchased Dewalt (of radial arm saw fame) and killed of the saw portion and re-branded their tools.

They have also purchased Porter-Cable (who had already introduced a low cost consumer line, but had preserved the pro/industrial line).

I expect that will slowly wind down based on sales volume slowly.

Why should they care, you have to purchase two cheap tools so that when the first dies you an at least keep working a job.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    11 years ago

My limited understanding is that some of the "race to the bottom" is caused by the big box stores (and consumers to a degree). The big box store determines, presumably through some kind of market research, that it can sell sanders for, say, $49.95. The store then goes to the manufacturer and dictates a price at which they're willing to buy that sander. It's up the manufacturer to figure out a way to build the sander and make a profit.

Because the big box stores represent such a huge percentage of the market, manufacturers who want to say in business don't have much choice but to build tools to a price point.

• handymac
    11 years ago

The race to the bottom is being caused by the consumers. We want low prices in spite of the consequences.

Example are businesses like Harbor Freight and Cummins Tools. These companies simply rip off copies of established company products and sell new for half the price(or less) of the original. Many times the copies are so good, brand name parts and HF parts will interchange.

I bought brand name tools 15 years ago to use in my remodeling---all of them still work just fine. A friend sees no reason to spend that much---buys HF crap and just goes and buys new when the crap breaks.

That is why there is so much reduction in quality.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"The race to the bottom is being caused by the consumers. We want low prices in spite of the consequences."

Bingo.

Luckily for them they use the tool only a few times a year.

Even the hardware is getting worse and worse.

Chinese bolts are often referred to as 'butter bolts' they are so soft.

The manufacturer has taken full advantage of the fact the fasteners are not 'grade' type, and uses the cheapest materials they can get.

I have some very old tools still going strong.

A 1/2 inch Craftsman drill with a simple on-off switch and a cast aluminum 'frame.'

The brushes have been replaced a couple times, but the only other repair was the old rubber cord started to dry rot.

My old 'Guild' (later bought out by Porter-Cable) half sheet orbital sander still runs like a top.

I had a BIL who ran a concrete repair business.
    He saved 50% on an electric demo hammer.
    It lasted one shift.

He went back and they sold him the 'industrial model' for twice the money.
    It is still running 15 years later.

Cry once and pay for quality, or cry every time you use and replace junk.

Even something as simple as hammers are not crowned correctly.
    The hammer face should be parralel to the surface when you hold the hammer to drive the nial and the head os just at the surface.

Incorrect crowning on the $10 hammers make them garbage.

No wonder folks cannot drive a nail straight.

They saved $20 on the hammer.
    What a bargain!