Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leslie_gardener

Won't take stain

leslie_gardener
10 years ago

I am trying to re-stain an old table but several spots
refuse to take the stain....why would this be and what would you suggest?
The wood is clean, no oil etc clogging the wood.

Thank you

Comments (9)

• klem1
    10 years ago

"THE WOOD IS CLEAN". Probily not as clean as you think. Silicone is next to impossible to remove from wood. Auto paint stores carry cleaner that takes a lot of the silicon off. Look at the contints of everything that has been used to clean and polish the table to see if silicone is named.

• bobismyuncle
    10 years ago

In addition to silicone (most likely culprit is Pledge furniture polish), glues, incomplete removal of old finish (e.g., sanding only), or other contamination can cause stains not to grab. Dyes need to soak into the wood structure and pigments need somewhere to lodge.

How did you prepare the surface for staining?

• leslie_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

How did you prepare the surface for staining?

Liquid stripper then a sanding..then a laquer thinner wipe.

• aidan_m
    10 years ago

There may still be finish left in the spots that aren't taking the stain.

Or the sanding of the old stripped finish may have burnished the wood in spots, making the pores closed and unable to absorb stain. What grit did you use? Did you use a power sander? Did the paper tend to gum up?

• User
    10 years ago

Basically all the reasons mentioned so far, plus there could be the original stain still in the wood. Wood has soft grain and hard grain areas. Pine is the most common wood with that characteristic---and pine is infamous for staining badly. The more dense grain takes very little stain, while the softer areas soak it up.

• Marie DeSalvo
    7 years ago

I too am having a problem. the arm rests and foot rails of my solid pine have been worn down from use. I had cleaned the arms of the chair of build up of grease and debris from hands. I also tried sanding them and am thinking that I sanded them too smooth. is there any suggestions as to what I am to do to stain them? They are very resistant. Thanks

• User
    7 years ago

What kind of stain are you using? And what did you use to clean the wood?

• Marie DeSalvo
    7 years ago

I Used steel wool to clean the arms of the chair first. then sanded. It came very smooth. I seemed to think maybe I sealed the wood so smooth that maybe that is why it wont take the stain. had a similar problem on an oak piece of wood on my stairs but that one I figured being oak the wood was a hard wood. I will check but am pretty sure that it was a minwax product. Will post later.

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County