P.RD:HLSFiL?@6*5$0#

kiko_gw
12 years ago
last modified: last year

H

Comments (7)

• RRM1
    12 years ago

"Professionally refinished" means what, exactly? Was it a shop that does commercial finishing/refinishing? Was the door removed and taken to a shop (or done on-site)? What materials were used? Was it stained? What is the top coat? Was it sprayed or brushed? How many coats?
    Richard

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

The first thing anyone needs to know is what finish was used and what exposure does the door have to the elements.

• kiko_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good questions! The door itself was removed and taken to a shop where it was dipped (I believe) and stripped. The transom and sidelites are "permanent" and were stripped and refinished on site. Sadly I have no idea what type of stain or top coats were used. I am guessing I should have asked those type of questions at the beginning!!

The exterior of the door is exposed to the elements. We live in a HOT area (Dallas, 40+ days over 100) and we have had unusual (for us) freezes the past few years. The door is on a protected front porch with a 5 foot deep overhang and 6 foot deep brick walls (perpendicular to the door) on either side. The door unit is about 6 feet wide by about 10 feet high.

I just called the company that did the work today. Amazingly, the same person I worked with in 2008 is still there and is going to come to take a look at it. What sort of questions should I ask when he comes?

• kiko_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is a picutre of the door before and after refinishing:

• RRM1
    12 years ago

What top coat was used and what type of stain, although the stain looks like it was a combo, or pigment stain.

• RRM1
    12 years ago

What top coat was used and what type of stain, although the stain looks like it was a combo, or pigment stain.

• live_wire_oak
    12 years ago

The "threshold" is failing? Thresholds are high traffic spots with wear occurring from abrasion. They need re-coating far more often as normal maintenance. I see a metal threshold wear strip there though, so I'm not certain exactly what would be wearing in your case.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz