Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Farmhouse Table wannabe!

Posted by fency53 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 9, 09 at 13:06

I have done a temporary fix to an old small dining room table. I went out and got 4 2 x 10 pieces of wood. Planed them and attached them to the table. Because of a lack of proper tools and for ease of cleaning, I need to fill in the 3 small gaps that run the length of the table, but I'm not sure what to use. I also had questions as to what I should use to complete the table. The table will be painted black and then I need to put a polyurethane over it...I'm assuming.

Any help or advice would be great!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Farmhouse Table wannabe!

I'd use an epoxy type wood filler since you're painting, not staining. Read the can of poly carefully, not all can be used over paint.

As an aside, how are you attaching these new boards to the existing table top? You need to consider wood movement otherwise the boards can crack or come apart at the seams.

o
RE: Farmhouse Table wannabe!

A second warning on the need or desire to put polyurethane over paint. Enamel paint is essentially varnish with pigment. Why would adding varnish without pigment over the top do anything more for you? You risk it yellowing or peeling off. If you are really looking for a poly-like finish, get some oil-based floor and porch enamel.

Poly is not the be-all end-all of wood finishes, despite the way it's marketed.

Just avoid low-end latex paint.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here