Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Making front door

Posted by oldscout (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 16, 07 at 12:37

I want to make a new craftsman front door for my home. When I went to one of the larger hardwood dealers in the SF bay area and looked for 8/4 oak for it I looked through a lot of wood and could not find stock long enough or wide enough that was even close to straight and true. I have a jonter and planer so glue ups and milling are not a problem. Has anybody made a door by laminating 4/4 stock up to the 1 3/4 thickness needed for and exterior door?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Making front door

Very inadvisable. The stresses from laminating two boards and exposing them to extremes of heat and climate lead to great warping possibilities. The best old time thick doors were a poplar or white pine core with 1/8" hardwood veneer. In your case, you could resaw oak into 1/4" stock, laminate it to the core, then plane down to finished thickness. Unless your jambs are already determined, you could do a 2.25" door, which is a very substantial thickness.
The softwood core winds up much lighter than solid hardwood, which means it's easier on the hinges in the long run.
Casey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here