Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
platform bed design

Posted by swngdncr (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 27, 11 at 12:35

Hello all, husband and I are embarking on project to build aplatform bed. I have a question about the size ofthe space for the mattress. I am thinking to allow an inch all the way around so there is room for the bedding. Most of the time I imagine that the comforter will sit on top withdraw the rest of the bedding tucked in. But if we have company would probably make up the bed nice tucked in all the way around. My husband thinks an inch is too much. I'm not going y make up the bed fancy all nice and neat every day, who has time for that, but being able to stuff the sheets and blankets down the sides so it looks kind of neat without too muchwork would be nice. Are there downside to adding the 1 inch all the way around? Thanks for advice. Carla

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: platform bed design

I guess I should clarify that our design will have the bed recessed another 6-7 inches into the platform. The mattress is 13 deep, so I don't want it tosit on top of a flat platform. So there will be sides that come up. We are building it outof bamboo.

o

I add an inch total, or 1/2" per side for a mattress. That is after carefully measuring the overall outer dimensions of the mattress, which can be a little tricky.

o

yes, I know what you mean about it being tricky to measure the mattress. Do you measure it with all the bedding off of it, just the bare mattress, or do you measure it with the bedding on, and then add a 1/2 inch?

o

Put on the linens you want to fit inside the bedframe. Push the mattress into the corner of the room, so it is against the wall on 2 sides.

Use the wall as a guide on one side, a small piece of plywood held plumb w/ a level on the other. Measure the space between. This will give you exact dimensions. Then add an inch, or half an inch per side.

o

That is a great idea, I started thinking about doing something similar, but your idea is much easier.. thanks..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here